BY AUSTIN BURBRIDGE. LOS ANGELES (CINEMA MINIMA) — The Zenith Foundation aims to provide a platform for Arab independent cultural production, including cinema, sound, thought, and culture, throughout both the Arab region, and the Arab diaspora.
In the 2012 Open City Docs Festival in London, the foundation presented two documentaries relating to the revolutions in Tunisia and in Egypt: ROUGE PAROLE, by Tunisian director Elyes Baccar; and TAHRIR 2011: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE POLITICIANS, by Egyptian director Tamer Ezzat. Zenith Foundation Arab Film Festivals were presented at Britain’s National Film Theatre in 2004, and at the British Academy of Film and Television Arts for in 2006, 2007, and 2008.
Cofounder Mona Deeley is a producer for Cinema Badila: Alternative Cinema on BBC Arabic TV. The weekly program spotlights independent short films, and includes interviews with filmmakers.
In addition to its cultural programs, the Foundation operates two online businesses: a Zenith Shop, which sells movies and music; and the Zenith Image Library, a specialist resource which offers archive and contemporary stills and clips representing the Arab region.
Zenith cofounder Mona Deeley will participate in a panel discussion, Arab Cinema in the UK: The Present and the Future on 2012 September 21 Friday at the ICA on the Mall in London. The Friday Forum will be part of Safar: A Journey Through Popular Arab Cinema, organized by the Arab British Centre in partnership with the ICA and Dubai International Film Festival.
Zenith Foundation resources
- Facebook: Zenith Foundation
- Twitter status updates @ZenithFoundtn
- Profile of Zenith Foundation by Jim Quilty for Variety Arabia
- Zenith Image Library
- Zenith Shop: films and music from the Arab region and the Arab diaspora
- Zenith cofounder Mona Deeley’s LinkedIn profile
- The Death of Multiculturalism? 2011 lecture by Mona Deeley at the Institute for Cultural Diplomacy. Video 35 minutes
- Zenith cofounder Seth Ayyaz’s website
- Zenith cofounder Seth Ayyaz at the 2010 MazaJ Festival: Recalibrating Middle Eastern Sonic Cultures. Video 34 minutes
Get your director’s viewfinder at B&H Photo Video.
Your purchase through this link supports Cinema Minima.